Always Searching

Always Searching
(acknowledging Max)

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Poppies, Packages and Perceptions

I had lunch today with a very special woman who I love spending time with as she reminds me to say what I think and do what I say I will. She is beautiful and clever, sensitive and perceptive.

She has also manages to inspire me and remind me why it is so good to have female friends who take you as you are, let you be yourself, actually listen and laugh at the right moments. In fact, if truth be told, I don't have many female friends because, well two reasons; one is a hang up from forced institutional company as an adolescent loner in a lonely crowd - no one person's fault, but it certainly turns you away from en masse female company for a very long time! Secondly, because I am lucky to have two or even three good female friends who I have learned to trust and grown to love.I am indeed fortunate.

I know because of the first reason, just how rare and fortunate that is.

I received a letter from another very special woman when I got home. Now I never see that woman - we did once, another age and world away, but now we write, the old fashioned way - complete with stamps and ink and gorgeous paper and specially chosen cards - but I know she's a good listener, takes me as I am, reminds me to say what I think and do what I say I will. If I border on not doing so, she will send gifts to inspire, encourage and cajole. I love seeing her scrawly, creative, chaotic writing on the envelopes and parcels in my letter box - just like I love seeing the tiny blue daisies appear on my phone letting me know that my other friend has popped her head up from being her own Constant Gardener and sent me a text.

I have another very old female friend (she's not old, but we have known each other for a good length of time -  for over 28 years!) Our correspondence and conversations can be sporadic and inconsistent but we know we are there. It can be relied upon. Trusted without talking. Absent without leaving too big a gap. Funny how it works - an acceptance hewn through experience and oft shared stories, tall and true.. Sometimes a fissure has formed but the plates move back in time and the quake is avoided. Because we both want to avoid it.

It's like having a fine old car - not looking as good on the outside anymore, gets clogged and cranky, drives you nuts or around the bend, but it's true and good and gets great mileage! (she would not be happy if she knew I'd used such a metaphor but of course she'd forgive me because that's what we do!)

So, today I received poppies and praise, sent a package and emails and then reminisced on my perceptions today and gathered that I am fortunate indeed.


2 comments:

  1. I love that my writing is scrawly, creative, and chaotic. You summed it up so well!

    Thank you so much for such a beautiful portrayal. And thank you for posting again! Perhaps this will spur me on with mine...

    ReplyDelete